Character Counts! in Chaves County
To instill the values of trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship for our children; to implement the six pillars of character through community service projects; to recognize students for their accomplishments; and to decrease violence in the community.
* National Character Counts! Week A weeklong celebration throughout Chaves County which culminates with CC! Night at Roswell High School where the winning essay, poetry and art winners from the county wide contest are presented medals for their winning submissions.
* Honor the Badge Honors outstanding public servants, i.e., policemen, firemen, sheriff deputies, etc, from Chaves County. Nominated by their superiors and selected by a committee made up of individuals involved with Character Counts! throughout the county, each individual represents the best of our communities.
* Teachers of Character Honors outstanding educators from throughout the county by the nomination and selection process. Chosen from hundreds of individual nominations, each year's winners are honored at the Roswell Convention and Civic Center with Bronze, Silver, and Gold designations. The Silver and Gold winners receive cruises as part of their awards package. Bronze winners receive gift certificates
* High School Coaches of Character Winners are selected at the end of each season. Nominated by their athletic directors, they are chosen by A Selection Committee. Each Coach receives an honorary plaque, a gift certificate for two from an area restaurant and a night's lodging.
* Youth Coaches Seminar The Youth Sports Program strives to work closely with youth sports organizations by providing special training for their coaches. A one and a half hour interactive CD-ROM session is offered.
Carleton L. Avery